Thread: DigiDelivery
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: DigiDelivery

Thanks for your feedback Jon. I appreciate a Digi person taking the time to summarize this products feature set.

I understand the concept, it's an "FTP server for Dummies" as someone earlier described the product, and I think a simplified file server might be useful for some folks, but I don't understand any time saving benefits to using it use unless you are paying for a T1-T3 line.

As Tom mentioned in an earlier post, the real issue is the upload speed bottleneck. When someone requests a file from the delivery server they will be gated by the speed at which the server can upload the file. This product doesn't address that bottleneck it just moves it from one machine (your DAW) to another. So even if the person recieving my file has a fast download speed they will only recieve it as fast as my best upload speed.

So for a project consisting of only 600 megs or so of mixdowns (a typical CD's worth of audio) the file transfer would take 10 to 12 hours (at 128k upload speed) for each individual person recieving the project. Sending a project to 5 different people/locations would take 50 to 60 hours. A lot of the people I need to send files to are still connecting with modems and their download transfer speeds are even worse than my upload speed so the transfer to them would take 24 hours or more per person, so for 5 people with modems it would take 120 hours for everyone to get the project.

I guess when ISP's start offering symmetrical up and download speeds at reasonable rates then this type of service will become more useful. For now I only see a possible benefit for this product if a studio has at minimum a dedicated T1 or higher connection. I guess I'll continue with the burn a CD and Fed-Ex approach since it's a more time efficient and cost effective method.

Thanks again for the clarifications.