View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Protools vs Digital Performer

I just made the switch from exactly your position. I was a DP user since performer. I love DP and I miss my familiarity with it....but, I had a recent session mixed in Pro Tools and I was hooked...here's my 2 cents:

1. I mix and record audio almost 99% - even play Giga and virtual instruments through Neve and API pres and record them as audio tracks. Pro tools is exceptionally stable and easy to use. More like a traditional big console and deck.

2. I was looking at buying a new G4, an apogee 8000se, mackie UAD, and mackie control but I jumped up to protools HD3 with a 192i/o for the same price. For those of you looking for a great price check out Sam Ash pro.

3. Sound Quality - made 2408 MKII sound like a toy.

4. TDM HD plugins are much better than native. IMO. I don't even think it is the same ballpark.

5. It is expensive to upgrade the plugs like waves - but the DUY, MCDSP are worth it. Amp farm, reverb one, even the digirack plugs - all great.

6. I have recorded and mixed in many big studios (analog situations) and I now feel like I can really compete with a mix done in my personal studio. Put DUY analog and MCDSP analog channel in and you have a really great sound. The best that digital has ever seen to this day.

7. I have already gotten work because I now own a 'Pro Tools' system. Recording, composing and mix work I would never have gotten owning DP.

Do you record all analog? Do you make money doing music? Are you looking to become a pro tools engineer? A lot to think about.

I am very happy with my decision.