View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: HELP! Acoustic guitar recording and mixing.

Rob
Sounds like you need to do a bit more "fiddling" with PTLE and learn more of what it does. If you've used analog mixers then panning should be a straight-forward concept. Go to the mix window (use ctrl/= to toggle back and forth between the mix and edit windows) and familiarize yourself with all the controls and functions. Go to the Digidesign website and order the free DVD. It's got some great tips to get you started on the basic functions. Also if you can find a copy of the old VHS version, it's even better for tips and tricks.

Anyway, on your acoustic micing... I'm doing that every week. Most of our material has acoustic guitars. I have a great little article on stereo micing acoustic guitars that helped me heaps. I can email it to you if you like.
In the meantime, make sure you are using the 3-1 rule. ie. The mics should be 3 times as far from each other as they are from the instrument. So if the mics are 2" away from the guitar, they should be 6" away from each other. This helps with any phasing issues.