View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Music w/ lots of level under 30hz. Highpass across Printmaster out?

I've gotten flamed for my use of the Lfe track (BTW I've seen the light and have added some filters in my chain), BUT here's my $0.02:

I often use fairly aggressive dynamics on low frequencies. I can't remember mixing music from a composer who played below 30Hz, but it's very common for me to use a high ratio compressor on everything below 120Hz with a relatively slow attack and slow release so the bass notes have a strong attack and then get out of the way. It takes some fairly detailed running of the release to match the tempo of the bass track, and it doesn't work on drones which this may be.

On drones, I'm likely to use a low shelf to manage it. But I tend to agree that below 30Hz is more trouble than it's worth. Even if the bass sounds good in theaters, or on a mix stage, it's pretty likely to run away on a lot of home theater setups.

(I say this is pretty common, but it really depends on the music mix. Most of the composers I love working with tend to deliver mixers that are well bass managed to begin with, so the more I get to work with my favorites the less I reach for this tool in the box.)

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk