View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Just bough an Ultrawide Monitor - WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezer View Post
16:10 (1920x1200) beats 1080p hands down. I can't abide 1080p screens near PCs. It feels like the bottom of my world is chopped off (for no reason other than laziness to tie in with the TV industry). Was a bad move the day monitors started following cinema/tv over what computer users really needed.

Fact is even on my normal 16:10 1920x1200 monitor I have just as much, in fact MORE vertical editing space (I can have my midi editor up way higher and still get 4 tracks like that above), and it feels more natural than 1080p.

These ultrawides are cool, and do give you some nice side real estate (for plugs or w/e but I see very little point of having them just to stretch the timeline out - maybe in a video editor but it's hardly essential here at least for me.. maybe if doing heavy scores/post) but they don't address the verticality at all (nor do 4k monitors either which are also just larger 16:9s)

BTW, why do most MAC users always have that stupid oversized task/app bar showing and taking up a massive portion of work area? is it really needed? On windows you set it to autohide easily enough and it only pops up when you put your mouse cursor right down on the very bottom of the screen, and even then it's super slim.

I'll never understand people willfully jamming up their working area + also the distraction of icons/apps showing that are not the current focus/work...
I get what you're saying about 1200 versus 1080. The monitor on my Photoshop machine (Mac mini) is a 1920x1200; the one on my cheesegrater Mac Pro is a 1920x1080. It's quite an adjustment going from one to the other. Trying to find a decent 1920x1200 monitor seems to be a fool's errand. I'd swap them except for two things: one is the Mini's screen is a heat generator and my wife would kill me On my daw machine I do find the 1080 easier than what the screen was on my 27 inch iMac (2560 x 1440). The actual display area on both the iMac and the 1920x1080 monitor are the same. So it's an easier time of editing.

I also get where you're coming from about the Dock (that's what it's called in Mac land) at the bottom of the screen. On all my Macs I've always had it moved over to the left side of the screen with unnecessary icons removed from it. And I have it shrunk down in size. Don't like auto-hide as it's distracting. I don't think many Mac users realize that they can move the Dock. I find it less distracting at the left as it's out of the way of the most-used parts of the PT gui.

QAPLA!