View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Re: How Headphones Influence Music Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Do you guys think its generally true that most people listen to their music on earbuds and headphones? And if so, how does that affect the way you mix, if at all?

The article mentions that because of earphones, the way vocals are being done has changed too. He gives examples from Selena Gomez and Lana Del Rey of that. Do you think that's the case?
100% where the listening happens should be considered where the mixing happens!

Think of the old vinyl of classical recordings made in 1972. You COULD rip it to MP3 with 2005 MBox AD/DA and play it through 2009 windows laptop speakers, but I am sure the loudness standards the Audio Engineering Society set forth just a few years ago didn't even exist when ANY of that other stuff was made.

Therefore, if you ONLY mix on great sounding speakers with lots of power, you might not have a clue that, for example, your track mixed will be far too quiet to even hear on an iPhone or Android cell phone if the "volume" is set below "7 out of 9" or whatever.

I am on the side of loudness ceasefire lol. I want to have good hearing into the future. I plug my ears when emergency vehicles go by. But I like loud bass, too. So things have to interface as they vary--- that's a big part of this.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //