View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Default Re: It's 2012- Why are we still pushing DSP processors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts View Post
see that's where I would like to add a couple remarks.

How many native users can look me in the eye and say that a restart doesn;t make a difference after 5 or 6 hours of work. You can't because clearing up all that memory cache from time to time feels good.

Well ... Think in that line with DSP based systems. I can run mine for ages and it won't make a difference wether I restart it or not. It will just as happily purr along.
Chris
Chris,

I completely get your reasons for running a DSP based system, and if I had an eye to look at, I'd admit that rebooting a computer after 5-6 hours is a good thing anyway. Even humans need a rest after 5-6 hours. But can you honestly admit that your DSP chips on your HD system don't do funky things. Say for example, you drop a Re-vibe plugin on a channel then remove it and the DSP hasn't refreshed itself so the only way to fix it is to quit protools or trick the cards into refreshing by changing your DSP allocation. That happens a lot, you might not notice it because you're only running PT's for music but I have to fix this daily. It's not just my system either, it's common place. Once you start routing 5.1 channels into stereo down mixes X 7, and maxing out your cards, those DSP cards start acting really silly.