View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM

Default Re: The FINAL Gain Staging Question (hopefully lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Max readings on that meter indicate the highest peak and RMS levels detected. They only change when they're exceeded or manually reset.

For what you're doing, you should set the scale to RMS +3. You're probably more interested in instant peak levels and average RMS levels. Just make sure your monitoring system is at the right level. Max RMS isn't the ruler you should use, since music is dynamic and there will be sections that exceed your target. Long-term is a more important figure here, this is where the histogram in DP Meter is super useful.

Well, not anywhere. Exceeding 0 dBFS doesn't result in clipping in Pro Tools 11 (or any floating point mixer) unless you do it on the master - then you're clipping the DAC. You can go a couple hundred decibels over zero on a track, as long as you bring it down below zero before conversion then the signal will remain intact.
C'mon, mesaone...you're going to rue the day you posted that!

You know that, I know that, but do you really think folks who ask these types of questions can grasp the subtleties of that fact?

"But this guy on the DUC said you can go as loud as you want to!"

I will modify my statement a bit, but it's always a good idea to consider your audience...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh