View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Hangs but audio continues

Did you build this computer or did a third party system builder build it?

Unfortunately the problems "Pro Tools hangs and audio continues to play" does not really give much clue... untold number of things could cause that to happen.

... and the few times I have seen this happen repeatedly it was an interface driver... but I would not make that leap here beyond check it is up to date, and maybe if other things do not find issues then you can try to get ASIO4ALL to work then try that out with the PC sound card. And make sure windows sound is not using the interface as its device.

Does Pro Tools ever unhang itself?

How do you get out of this?

When Pro Tools hangs do other applications seem to be running OK?

Even though it's a simple session does this happen with other sessions? Does it happen if you start with a new empty session?

Fully optimize the system, I mean do every last thing no matter how inconvenient, no WiFi, no Bluetooth, cstate and other BIOS changes, do every last thing for now. Disable any over clocking or other hacks.

Does the Windows Event log show anything happening around when Pro Tools hangs?

Does the pro Tools log show anything interesting (they are back to text now so you can look in them...). Copy and paste here the last 20 or so lines from a log file where Pro Tools hangs (compare that to files that don't hang if you have any). Logs are in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Avid\Logs

---

A quick look around and that Sandra report seems to show DIMMs that are not on the ASUS QVL for that motherboard. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...Memory_QVL.pdf. Do your own checking and look around for updated QVLs. SiSoft is reporting these as Nanya chipped DIMMs while all the QVL Kingston DIMMs I see listed are Micron chipped.

This is one area I would be paranoid about... getting exact DIMMs on the QVL. If your third party system, builder did this... I'd ask them to substitute the DIMMs at no charge with QVL listed ones. Pro Tools is more suspect to DIMM compatibility issues that many other programs.

Another thing in the Sandra report that sticks out as just different than usual is the cluster size for the Audio drive is 128 kB not the default NTFS 4kB.

Why was it created so large? One way I could imagine this happening is it his had been a exFAT drive that was converted to NTFS?

You could test by creating new sessions on the boot C: drive and playing them there.

But either way I would go ahead and reformat that Audio drive with the default 4kB cluster size.

---

Other basic info that would help...

What session sample rate and IO buffer size have you been using? You should be working at 44.1 or 48 kHz for now and with a very conservative buffer size, like 1024 samples to just try to get stuff running near reliably.

What is disk cache set to... I would set it to 1GB or so or just leave it at normal while while playing around with this problem.