Thread: More Gear? GAS
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Default Re: More Gear? GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not any of us, though, right? GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Let's not delude ourselves, the GAS is strong in all of us. I theorize (with my theorizing cap firmly on) that humans in general, and men in particular, have genetically built-in GAS. Evolution has left us with a strong desire to collect stuff, any stuff really, anything that'll give us an edge, improves our chances of survival, of reproduction.

Survival of the fittest after all is about who is best adapted to a particular environment. That nice stick you picked up may just turn out to be the perfect tool for knocking fruit from a tree. That lovely round stone that fits so perfectly in your hand may just be the thing to see off a competitor for the favors of a particularly interesting mate (male/female). That nice bunch of wood could be the difference between freezing to death or surviving another winter. You can never have too many bunches of wood.

It pays to collect stuff; you may not really need it now but you might need it later, at some point. Or not, but you should get it and keep it anyway. Waste not, want not.

GAS is primal, it resides in the mammalian part of our brain. Our beloved neo cortex, where rationality lives is weak and useless, resistance is futile.

But by George, I try! Each time I get 'The Urge' and that Gollem voice inside my head crows; "We wants it! We must have it!" I, Rational Man, asks; "But do I really need it? Does it fill a gap in my tool box? Is there anything I can do with this I can't do with the stuff I already have?".

And sometimes Rational Man wins the argument. No! I'd like a new cool looking studio chair but the (somewhat the worse for wear looking) one I got is actually fine. No! I'd like more IO's but I get by okay with what I got now.

Then again, at other times, Rational Man is like; Hmm, another analog tape echo plug. I've got like five already... Oh what the hell, it's just 29 bucks!

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1

Last edited by Muddy-T; 07-10-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Stylistic considerations