View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Default Re: 11R - The (emulated) Microphone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
By the way, when it comes to studio recording, having read a lot of recording articles about how certain artists recorded their albums, particularly rock, I can say that by far the most common combination seems to be the sm57 and the royer 121. You may want to experiment with duplicating the track and switching the mic to emulate the 2 mic combination and see how you like it.
This seems like a pretty good place to start for creating a multimic'd sound, or even just double tracking your rhythm tracks using a different mic each time.

I haven't got my new computer yet, so I'm still waiting to use my 11 rack within the Protools environment, which has given me lots of time to mess around and tweak the settings on the 11R and just listening.

How about duplicating the guitar track and then reamping the second one with the reverb set to early reflection with the mix on 10 (max). I noticed that this sounds pretty close to normal room ambience, so if you mix it in with the dry track, it should approximate the sound of having a room mic on the cab too.

I'll definitely try that out when I am equipped to do so.

So far I'm enjoying the 121, U67 and 57 models.

Of course there's also the EQ which you can use to alter the mic'd sound too. I have managed to approximate the recorded sound of my beloved old Brownface Fender Concert amp by using an EQ before the amp and one after the cab, using the Black Lux model with the 4x10 cab and the 57 mic.

I love that there is so much that can be experimented with this unit.