View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Re: a few reflections on my new s1

oh boy how have I survived in this business for 15 years without a control surface, thanks to the last 3 posters your tipps were all essential 👍

Quote:
reading the comment on faders was the same problem as the artist mix glad i did not make the move to the S1 i have a D command es and the faders are great no wrist strap or pencil needed!
don't get me wrong, the issue is not that bad, I surely exaggerated little with the "licking my fingers" comment, and ultimately I now use three fingers to move a fader just to be sure it goes smooth, which is fine, cause for very fine adjustments you would intuitively use three anyways most of the times. this way two fingers grab the top and bottom, and the index sits in the fader-valley.

on a side-note, yes it helps to not let humidity go below 20% in your room. Overall I am pretty happy with my s1, but I have nothing to compare it to. I particularly like the level meters in the little displays, I barely need to watch the screen and since Lynn sorted my rookie mistake, I now can listen and edit a mix while I do other things, which I particularly like as sometimes one needs to distract the conscious mind to allow the subconscious to affect intuitive changes (to your mix).

the s1 feels sturdy and I hope it will last me at least 7 years without service. no idea if that's realistic, but given the build quality I feel it should be possible. yes I paid a premium for this, and here and there I ask myself "you paid how much for this??" but then, if this is a professional instrument, like my sturdy old mac pro which outlasted so many other windows machines, then the price is well worth it, I don't expect the mute or solo buttons to fail, or any buttons for that matter, they all seem sturdy and just well engineered.

btw I wrote this post while playing with a mix, it really helps having control over music while not having to look at much going on on-screen, but then again, I am new to the whole experience and concept of control surfaces, even though I knew for many years I probably need one.

so I guess while we are being locked in our houses, waiting for total global medical martial law being rolled out (forgive me my facetiousness) some of us surely can enjoy some nice wine and workflow :) (don't forget to get your daily walks and loads of fresh air, especially in times of corona)

keep the tipps coming :)