View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Re: dbx160 emulation sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Its quick and I really think you’ll like Dyna-Mite We have 2 racked hardware units and they are great and greater on drums and guitars as well on bass where IMHO where this plugin shines.
Wish I had your optimism. I'm trying it and it's just not getting it for me but then again it's only been a couple of hours. It's not the easiest of plugins to understand and even a fellow who does a couple of YouTube videos with it (he's from Softube) has a bit of a problem understanding it particularly the full verskon although he seems to get on well with Slam and the Gate. Compared to what I get from Major Tom and the Waves 160 emulation it's seems to be missing some breadth of sound.

Been working with the suspects mentioned here - Dynamite, Major Tom, the Waves dbx160 and the NI 160 that Softube did for them. So far the scoring after about 4 hours of tests is like this from first to last:
Major Tom
Waves 160
Dynamite
NI's 160 emulation from Softube

Trying the NI I'm reminded why I don't use it if I have other choices - it's like a bad dish of grits made by somebody who doesn't know what they're about. The full-on Dynamite is as obtuse as anything I've run into. Now Slam is quite decent and the Gate is good as well but nothing I want to spend the cash on even with a coupon discount. Besides the total plugin misses too many basses I want to/need to cover.

Major Tom & the Waves 160 are pretty close to each other with Major Tom having more of the sound that I need for the tracks I am working on. And that's what it's all about at least for me. I may end up getting both of them but I need to spend more time with the whole shebang.

For those who have Major Tom - are there any presets from the developer in it? I don't have any but then again I only have the evaluation version. I can't remember with Rocket whether the demo had presets or I got them when I paid for it. The Waves 160 has a bunch of presets.

QAPLA!