View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Co-install PT 12 and PT 2020.3?

I can't speak to the subject, but the video engine PT2020 Mac OSX is equally goofy , crashes , won't load videos with non ASCII file names etc. Something in the video codec that crashes PT and it's non negotiable. Not to mention infuriating.

A workaround (for me anyway) is to use freeware (handbrake on Mac OS but someone above mentioned a transcoder that looks like the same thing) trial and error try a few different tweaks or different codecs until you can make a video that loads properly. Some codecs are 'snappier' than others (i.e. lag between pressing play and PT actually playing) - good luck with that.

Seriously Avid WTF you BROKE YOUR OWN FLAGSHIP DAW. Get some new beta testers for the love of God. PT12 worked just fine. I get .mp4 files from all my clients, some of them work seamlessly some run like a dog some won't display (black screen) and some outright crash the whole session.

The fairly limited new features I got by paying for the upgrade are not worth the aggravation for me or anyone else for whom video is crucial and just needs stuff to work not hours lost on forums or coming up with hamfisted workarounds. I'm not a codec expert. I'm also not interested - that's supposed to be Avid's job that I pay them for.