View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
From this I can infer that Avid is focusing their resources for the Pro market, which isn't a bad strategy since there aren't too many companies competing in this market. Reason is, the Pro market is shrinking by the day.
There's lots of competition in the "Pro" market. Yamaha, Digico, Soundcraft, Midas, Studer, Allen and Heath, SSL, StageTec, Calrec, AMS/Neve, Rupert Neve, Meyer Sound, and others all build recording, broadcast, live sound and control surfaces for Protools (and other DAWs) at the same price point, or higher, than the S6, S6L, and S3 surfaces.

What there ISN'T is competition in the home and project studio markets. Other than the Artist Mix, Presonus Studio Faderport, and Behringer X-Touch, there's basically no control surfaces that are affordable for the home and small studio market. And forget trying to find a decent real console for that market that isn't used or 20+ years old. (I have a 48 channel Soundtracs Quartz for sale if anyone is interested). And forget trying to find a current product that will work as BOTH a live sound console and a control surface for Protools. I have a Yamaha DM2000 that I will be using once I sell the Soundtracs console and free up that space in my remote truck. (I also have an Artist Mix).

The Pro market isn't about less competition, it's about better margins than the home and project studio market.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One