View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
I don't know if the new converters that UA offer in their new Apollo lineup are that much better or noticeable from the original silver Apollo, but the reviews seem to imply that there is a significant and noticeable difference. Is 133 db vs 118 db of dynamic range audibly noticeable? Again, I don't know. UA seems to tout this as a significant upgrade along with dual-crystal clocking. I would love to be able to get an A/B test, perhaps there are some on youtube that I can check out and hear for myself. I would love to think that my silver Apollo's converters and clocking are still in the same league. Paying for a new interface every few years doesn't make economical sense. But if the difference is worth it, I might take the plunge. I'm happy with my Omni as it stands. I think the converters are good...same specs as the silver apollos. The real issue for me is I don't use outboard gear so the software issues that Pro Tools have is the main issue for me and why I switched back to Logic Pro. Logic Pro's mixing and editing interface is nowhere close to as precise and elegant as Pro Tools which is why I am really hoping 2019.5 addresses the CPU issue.

A MTRX doesn't make sense for home recording artists. It is way overkill for what we would need. That is why an upgraded Omni would be the way to go for the home recording market. I don't think that is too much to ask from Avid. Interesting point is, their MTRX isn't even made by Avid, but rather Digital Audio Denmark. So again, what is Avid doing? Are they outsourcing their hardware department? Have they downsized to the point where they can't even make their own hardware anymore? They seem to be struggling to just try and keep up with their software which seems to be lagging further and further behind the competition.

A pro studio wouldn't have this issue because they probably already upgraded to a MTRX and use mostly outboard gear and effects. VIs aren't an issue if you don't use them. Pro Studios record mostly live instruments so being able to run a VI equivalent of a symphony orchestra wouldn't apply. But for those that don't track live orchestras, VIs are the only way we can get it. I think Avid should at least strive to offer the ability to run VIs to the point where the computer becomes the weakest link not the software. I didn't spend $10,000 on a new iMac Pro to be artificially limited in VI counts due to Pro Tools inability to use the 10 cores and 64 gig of ram. Logic Pro was optimized to use the latest iMac Pros and runs VIs very efficiently. Why can't Pro Tools do this? I've said this before, but for Pro Tools to truly be the best DAW out there for everyone (not just Pros using outboard gear tracking live instruments) they need to address this and sooner than later. Over the last 10 years I've been using Pro Tools, they have never even closed the gap regarding VI usage and CPU efficiency. Someone at Avid should've made this a priority. As it stands almost every other DAW can run VIs much more efficiently. The new feature that Avid is touting that doubles the midi count is meaningless if the software can't tap into a computer's native resources.

As far as the Wiggles using an SC48 for FOH, that seems reasonable. I've been to a wiggles concert and their shows are really geared for kids and the live aspect of it....almost circus like with all the acrobatics etc. Their fanbase aren't audiophiles.
Ha! Their fanbase certainly aren't audiophiles, but I don't think that undermines the skill of their FOH engineer. Or even the quality of the SC48. Those things are still being used everywhere, from venues, to tours and festivals. Particularly festivals, it always seems like there are two options for FOH. One of them being a Digidesign desk. Sydney's Oxford Art Factory still has one running FOH too.

Audiophile is probably a pretty accurate description for what is going on in some parts of the internet regarding converter quality and the desire for the best. It is becoming more and more akin to $300 specialty 'audiophile' IEC power cables, or gold-plated fuses, or $1000 speaker cables. Expensive stuff that is better on paper, but may well have less affect on the actual quality of sound than any given individual's morning caffeine intake. Maybe I am just getting older and more tired. Haha. Or perhaps I am just happy with my Omni. I do like it a lot.

I don't think it's been any real secret what happened to Avid. At one point in time they owned countless manufacturers in the industry, but it all blew up in their face. The Pro Tools LE line of interfaces was one of the first that they threw under the bus, and they tried for a brief while to compensate for it by rebranding Apogee interfaces and selling them as their own. I would absolutely love to see Avid release something like a 1RU rack mount interface with built in HDX capabilities. But will it ever actually happen? I personally doubt it. With the exception of the Avid Dock, the cheapest product that they have released in the last 5 or 6 years costs $4,999. It's almost as though they may have learnt a lesson from their poor attempts to do business in the home studio market.

I'm not at all fussed by Avid's involvement with DAD. They are right up there as one of the best in the industry. I reckon Avid should pursue more alliances with other companies that are at the top of their game. That is one way Avid have always really improved Pro Tools. The music notation part of it came from buying Sibelius. Eucon came from purchasing Euphonix. The Space plugin came from purchasing TL Labs. The Air plugins and instruments came from purchasing Wazoo. The BF plugins came from purchasing Bombfactory. That has been the Pro Tools way for decades. I'd love it if Avid sided with Izotope, or Native Instruments, or other software developers at the top of their game if it meant better tools for Pro Tools users.

Haven't Avid always been playing catch up with other DAWS when it comes to the home studio market? They certainly still know how to make hardware, and it is particularly 'serious' hardware for a company that isn't 'serious'. I'll leave some pictures for inspiration. I do think it speaks very strongly (unfortunately) for where Avid's priorities lay now and probably into the future...

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 04-25-2019 at 06:39 AM.