View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Re: im trying to get more tracks in protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminflam81 View Post
hey guys can anyone help me plse ...i have recently made beats that take up 16tracks and leave none for recording ....do i need to get a better external drive for more tracks or upgrade to protools 8 BUT!! i just read you only get 48 tracks why not unlimited like they advertise . i have mpowered which says it has 32 but i can only use 16tracks what do i need to do to get more tracks i have A g5 mac ppc 1.8 dual and 4gigs ram , projectmix i/o protools 7.4 seagate 500g freeagent pro sata external ANYONE HELP!!
Digi has never advertised unlimited tracks. Originally, this was because Digi "guaranteed" a certain level of performance on the earlier TDM systems: They could "guarantee" 64 tracks when others struggled. With Protools Native (LE) and the drives available today, it doesn't apply much any more in the real world.

Cubase, Sonar, and Reaper advertise unlimited tracks. Logic has a limit of 255, and I think DP has a limit of 244 voices. PT8 allows 48 unless you purchase the MPT as mentioned above.

There should be a way for you to work more efficiently (fewer tracks) though. You should be able to either bounce a few of those tracks together, or simply move the regions onto fewer tracks (if they don't overlap). Then you can use automation if necessary to change the levels, etc.

Large tracks counts has never been one of Protools' strengths. It has other strengths though.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.