View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Re: im trying to get more tracks in protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminflam81 View Post
i have a track with 16 stereo tracks and if i try to create to make 32 mono tracks or less it makes the 16 stereo tracks inactive do you know why ? should i upgrade to production kit ?
If you used 16 stereo tracks (and your using PT 7 LE or MP) you can add more tracks, but they will be inactive. You cannot play more than 16 stereo tracks - period. That's the limitation of the software.

If you want more, then you have to upgrade to PT8 (to get 48 stereo tracks) and/or get the Music Production Toolkit 2 (to get 64 stereo tracks).

I remember when 32 tracks used to be enough, but now that most drum samples are stereo, it takes some planning when producing R&B and Hip Hop, as drums can now eat up most of your available tracks. I teach music and video production at a high school, and my students use Garageband to create their tracks. GB only exports stereo tracks - even if the sound was mono to begin with. So by the time they move them to PT, there are few tracks left over to record vocals with. It's a good thing we have an PTHD system too.

I feel your pain, but you're going to have to spend a little to get more, or bounce your tracks down to keep going.

Hope this helps...

tg