View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Using an external SSD drive with Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebean7 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually have some of my sound libraries (well native instruments mainly) on a standard portable drive (Porsche design Lacie drive) and the rest on my computer, it's probably a weird setup but I needed to start saving space so I brought a portable drive. So sometimes it will be using my computer and other times not for the most part it will be. So, because I've done it this way I figure I need a drive hooked up to my computer for Native instruments (It was too big to put on my computer directly) and the SSD one for recording. Kind of a weird setup I'm sure but I couldn't fit Native instruments on my Mac and so I needed to do that. It would probably be easier if the sound libraries/plugins were all on the same drive.
Don't know what the specs are on that LaCie drive but make sure that the drive speed is 7200 rpm if it's a spinner. Hopefully it's an ssd. What type of connection are you using between the computer and drive? If it's an ssd and you have the space I'd put all the sample libraries on it. Plugins themselves must go on the system drive.

QAPLA!