View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: So tell me about 8-meg HDD buffers!!

I've got the 2-800JB's (80GB) and 1-120BB (120GB). The 40GB drives wouldn't be enough for me. My setup is my boot drive is 80GB. I have a D: drive of 80GB for miscellaneous stuff and my swap file. I then have the recording drive in a removable IDE drive tray. This way I can service multiple clients simultaneously without having to opening my computer each time. Also, it makes it fairly easy because part of the deal is for the client to buy a 100GB or more drive, I provide the tray and when the project is complete, I give the back the drive with their complete project on it. If they choose to have it remixed or mastered elsewhere, then they have it all...sessions and sound files (with settings and everything). It also takes the responsibility off of me to provide all of the storage.

I have found this to be the most economical way to deal with things. I'm working with someone now that has about 3 projects. We'll have a separate drive for each project. Keeps it simple. Shelf life for drives is around 3 years. By that time, most people will want to re-track if they wanted to release the songs again.

I'll also burn the 24-bit versions (multiple mono and interleaved) to CD for long-term storage.

Hope this helps.