View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Can this be? Only 16 stereo inputs in PT9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
First off I think the OP was talking about delivering stems to the orchestra conductor. But regardless of that, delivering a stereo mix the way YOU want it to the dubbing stage while in theory it sounds good, it doesn't always work that way. Composers are usually working to a guide track of just production dialog and a lot of times they even turn that off and just compose to the visuals. This can be a real problem on the dub stage if there are no stems to adjust. There may be a violin piece over a percussion bed with a string bed as well, that is just fighting with the dialog. If it is stereo the whole score has to be lowered or EQ'd is such a way that it detracts from the piece, where as if there are percussion stems, string stems etc. then the violin piece can be EQ'd separately and lowered slightly if needed. Then there is also all the sound FX that the composer isn't aware of while doing the score. Sometimes elements of the score fight with the sound FX and visa versa. In the end it is the director and or producers who work in collaboration with the re-recording mixer to get to something that is as close as possible to what the composer was trying to achieve but as I said the composer isn't always thinking about or hearing the "BIG" picture while doing the score.
Well, that you shouldn't compete with the dialog with your composition is composers 101. Usually you do receive a rough dialog and efx track with your version to work to. My experience is that there is a proper competition fight between sounddesigners and composers for who gets more room. I have been preaching to directors to use less music but when using it to give it to appropriate room. I remember watching Godzilla in the cinema and thinking: Poor David Arnold, all this work into composing a complex orchestral score and then you get buried underneath tons of collapsing buildings. Why? It seems pointless and a waste of money too... As i mentioned i find Tarantino and Kubrick are masters at using the music. If it's there it's there, don't try to hide it. And if you want your EFX to be loud have the {bleep} to press the mute button...

But that's more of a general discussion and off topic here. Sorry to divert.