View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Default How to transfer 32bit float into session without clipping

So I recently started doing location work and had problems with actors clipping my Tascam field recorder in dramatic scenes. So I just upgraded to the new Sound Devices MixPre 6 II which has 32 bit float recording. After seeing demonstrations of 32 bit float on the MixPre I thought this would solve the problem. I did a test where I set to 24bit and screamed at the top of my lungs and sure enough it had horrible clipping. I then set it to 32 bit float and really went for it, to my pleasant surprise on playback it sounded super clean even though I gave it everything to make it clip, it didn't. To my disappointment when I tried to bring the files into pro tools it was clipped. When bringing the clip gain down I expected to see waveforms devoid of clipping but they were squared off. I made sure my session was set to 32 bit float. My mic has 115dB spl limit. The only thing I can think of is my Mbox 3 pro is the bottle neck. So, how do I get my 32bit float files into pro tools so I can recover the the peaks I know should be there? What step am I missing.