View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Newer Mac for old HD2 Accel PCI cards? PCI fits PCIx?

My studio has been in cold storage for a couple of years (long story.) Anyway I'm trying to bring it back to life now and my trusty old G4 AGP is just not going to cut it anymore. I have the HD2 Accel cards which I believe (but am not sure) are PCI (not PCIe or PCIx. I assume this as they've been serving in the old G4 which is PCI) I'd like to get the most powerful recent-era tower that will accommodate these cards, in order to avoid having to buy new cards. FWIW I have the 192i/o. So a few questions:

1)How can I tell if my HD2 Accel cards are PCI 1.0 or 2.0 / 33MHz vs 66MHz? Or something else?

2)Will these HD2 Accel cards work in A PCI-x slot? I believe I read somewhere that a 66MHz PCI card will work in a PCI-x slot but that might be rubbish for all I know.

If the PCI cards will fit into PCIx slots, would that mean I might be able to use them with the late 2004 G5's that had : "three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots?" Or not.

3)At the end of the day, which newer mac would house them with the least hassle? If I must find a computer with 33MHz PCI slots I think my best bet would be the Early 2005 G5M9747 Dual 2.0GHz.

I'm a bit confused, so help will be greatly appreciated!