View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Re: drive going to sleep on its own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Firewire 800, power setting set up according to what Pro-Tools requires from the istalation manual (never go to sleep, no spotlight, no time machine etc), Mac 8 core Snow Leopard. Audio, Video, and systems drive are all different. I can have several external Lacies "and" and older Gtech and they don't go to sleep, while these new G-techs go to sleep. By the way, these drives can cause horrendous assertion errors not only on the actual drive but seems that the entire firewire chain can get bogged down if these drives sleep or wake up (often Pro-tools crashes when this happens) and it also makes the entire connectivity of the machine unstable. All my other older G drives do not ever go to sleep (I just counted them I own 7 other G-Drives and many LaCies but they are smaller capacity 1 tera each).

Models:G-Drive 2 Tera, 7200 rpm, 0G02529. Nowhere in the box do they say anything about being green. There are some icons like the recycle logo (but I think that is for the box and the aluminum enclosure) and there is a ROHS compliant logo (I don't know what that means), it is also FC and CE.
Thanks, sounds more and more like G-technology/Hitachi screwed up here. It would be interesting to know exactly what the Hitachi drive used these units are. And I'd be returning these units to the retailer asap.

Hitachi green drives are marketed under their "CoolSpin" technology labels. They often claim no specific RPM, or claim 5,400 rpm, but who knows, this would not be the first time green drives might over-claim rpm specs. And its possible that the power management/issues are external firmware issues, not specific to the drive.

Western Digital acquired HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, which had previously acquired IBM's storage products) last year. Unfortuantely WD green drives are notorious for causing problems with Pro Tools. These green technologies are all about reducing costs for drives and (often embedded) systems that use them while these vendors get hammered by flash storage. I hope that HGST/WD do not destroy the otherwise good name that G-technology have build as providers of media drives for video and audio applications.

Darryl