View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Red face So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

Been a long time since the Revolution of Sampling was announced and published.

I give you that it is revolutionary, but not in the sense that you hoped.
The only thing resembling a revolution, is that in the history of mankind, there has never been a sampler with less sounds available.

Your SPECS state that and I quote

Quote:
Use your existing SampleCell, Kontakt 1 and 2, and EXS24 sound libraries* (supports up to 8-channel interleaved samples)
1) I have many samples for SampleCell I & II and Structure is not remotely able to read ANY of them so that they sound right.

2) I have 200 GB of EXS samples and Structure is not able to load A SINGLE ONE OF THEM so that they sound as they are supposed to sound.

3) I have a huge Kontakt library and with the risk of sounding redundant, Structure is not remotely able to read ANY of them so that they sound right.

OK - So you support 8 Channels of interleaved samples. Whatever that means I am sure it is good but I would rather be able to load my libraries just like your advertisement states.

So I tried converting the samples with

1) CDXtract - this application is awesome and converting anything to NKI format, I can load directly (the programs) into MachFive2 with NO PROBLEMS and it sounds great. Trying to load the same files in Structure aint possible as Structure simply does not see the programs. CDXTract is a great app

2) Translator PRO - I am not sure if this app could even translate its own name and get it right. Never have I used a worse software than that. But I tried it nevertheless, as I have paid money for it... I started off with an AKAI CD and converted the AKAI format into STRUCTURE format, which Translator Pro is supposedly capable of doing. I got some sounds out of it. But I had to laugh. Keeping the key pressed for more than 2 seconds and the note would pitch from its current pitch all the way up and then all the way down and then stop.... Additionally, it never sounded the way it should sound.

It goes without saying, that I dont feel like editing EACH and EVERY patch before I can play in in Structure.

I am sure that all your great features like being able to drag a region into Structure's patch is an immense feature that everyone, wanting to do anything that they can in PT's Timeline or making patches for Structure are loving. Why would I need something like that. I know that Phil Jackson thought it was cool that he could pull in a vocal and make a double tracking out of it for harmonies. But you can do that better and faster in PT's timeline.

A sampler should - and this is of course only my opinion

1) Load 3rd pty programs
2) Do fast searches
3) Cancel a search

4) Browse its sound library fast and easily - I ask myself if YOU ever browse sounds yourself and if you like it.
5) Have a great Factory sound library
6) Work with slices
7) Be seen - we have screens today which are bigger than 12"

Just to beat it a little more>

ONE of the most IMPORTANT things for a great sampler or should I say Revolutionary sampler, is the access to its core library. Your Browser is as big as my watch and I wouldn't like to browse for samples there. My iPhone has a bigger area than that of Structure's revolutionary small browser. Some things are meant to be small. Like Mobile phones, needles or hearing aids - NOT BROWSERS. You ARE supposed to SEE what resides inside of them

Could you maybe tell your customers, who bought your revolutionary sampler what you are planning to do and IF you are planning. I would really like to know.

Thank You