View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Is this platform developed any further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Driver stability is for me the major problem. Blame it perhaps on the modem or the ethernet protocol. There is just no way I would use my euphonix gear in a live concert environment. Something I was at first considering because of its programmable-flexibility and portability.
The potential for a software disconnect and response interruption is just too great.

The fact that they've stopped supporting it and never fixed the driver issues in the last 9 months just make me want to sell all my modules before they are worth pennies.

Seems it's always the same thing with Avid: nice product --> crappy support --> nice product become crappy product. They did the same thing with Sibelius Software, ditched the developers and now everyone is moving back to Finale.

It's sort of easy to get the pattern: They buy the competition (Sibelius software, Euphonix, etc) and then gradually trash the product they were offering by making it worse.
I don't think it's as bad as what you say, but rather a case of a company buying a bunch of stuff thinking they can integrate it into their company's vision and it doesn't work out as well as they'd hoped. I've been a part of stuff like that. A company comes in, buys out another and the people in the first company think they're being saved. Turns out down the road that ain't the case and it's not really a fault of the company that did the buyout but of a case of biting off more than they can comfortably chew (or have the tech expertise to work with).

Now I don't know the specifics of what happened when Avid bought out Euphonix but if they canned the people at Euphonix that had the knowledge to make things work and thought Avid people could step in to the void - oh boy - recipe for disaster. I've been part of a scenario like that and it never works out well unless you have people with a solid vision and tech expertise in the company doing the buyout..

QAPLA!