View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

There's no need to track through plugins with 350 samples latency. An eq and compressor will run you 8 samples or so of latency. You can throw on the tape sim or whatever else is giving you big latency readings afterward. So yes I would say it would be uncommon for anyone to want to track through plugins with 350 samples of latency. I have yet to meet a native system that I can't notice the latency through, although I do find the lowest buffer settings to be tolerable. The thing is, I don't want to sell an experience that's only tolerable.

To an earlier poster- the reason native plugins don't report latency the same as DSP plugins is because they happen inside the buffer setting. That's why as you increase the processing load with more plugins, you need to increase the buffer. With DSP plugins, you bypass the buffer completely. So the latency of your native plugins is equal to your buffer setting, ie much greater than most DSP plugins, which are measured in samples of latency, not milliseconds. At 96k, one sample is 1/96,000 of a second, or slightly longer than 1/100 of a millisecond.