View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Red 4Pre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Just thought I would throw out there that I replaced my 16x16 and Omni with a Red 8Pre and it absolutely ROCKS.

What I did not expect is that the Red 8 Pre TB performance is substantially better at lower latencies than an HDN card. What's also really cool is with a TB hub I now only need a single optical TB cable between the machine room and the control room- It carries HDMI, USB, network and TB to the Red 8Pre and there is no change in performance with the 32 sample buffer.

Of course you are limited to only 32 i/o in HD via TB- hopefully Avid will lift this at some point because they are getting left in the dust here.

The built in routing/mixing is awesome. Finally I don't have to have a convoluted template in PT just to route the mix to everywhere (headphones, lounge etc). I haven't replaced my behringer P16 with the ipad/ios headphone mixer, but I probably will because it's pretty smooth as well. It is multiclient, so you can use this in a larger studio setup with multiple red pres (ipad can be assigned to any computer/red pre in the facility).

The Pre's are solid, nothing amazing in the color department and they aren't Grace level clean, but very usable. The front panel interface is a little annoying, you will want to plan to have TB connected IMO even if you use digilink.

I have two Red 8Pre's now (as well as a Rednet PCIe, and Rednet 5) and am planning a full Dante network when I move the studio this fall/winter. My only requests for them would be to make it work on Rednet Control, and to make a monitor A/B switch with output trim and allow any outputs (even dante) to be assigned to monitors.
cool info RyanC.... you still using the Red4Pre? still loving it?