View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro 2013 10 or 12 Core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
I relied on similar info when I bought my factory spec 8 core. Hard to tell whether that info was borne out in practice as it's the only trashcan I have so have no direct comparison. I think if running as many (non-VI) AAX Native plugins as possible then the 12 core is the machine for you - I premixed a show recently where the template had been setup on a 12 core and it wouldn't reliably run on my 8 core.

Pete
Hi Pete That is pretty telling when it will not run on your 8 core, but was ok on the 12 core. Any chance it was RAM related or do you have lots of RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I am using a 10 core in my trash can. It’s a great machine, but I feel like the question is over baking the cake a little bit. Particularly between the 10 and 12 core CPU, there is less than 2% difference in benchmarks.
Hi I certainly agree with your comment to not sweat 2%. Which benchmarks are you referring to? I am not finding any performance data for our world, and system benchmarks, such as geekbench are more in the 20% difference range. . . I have had many problems with my 2012 mac pro and native/VIs. . . so I am just dotting i's and crossing t's. . . that apprehension, plus there just does not seem to be any real test info out there, makes me think others are in the same boat, so I thought it would be good to try and dig up some info. Google is not finding much out there in this regard.

The overhead of managing cores can be a significant hit to performance in real time processing. . . so more is not always more. Not doubting anyones comments, just wish there was some real data/bench marks for reference.

Thanks guys!