View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation in RED?

Quote:
Quote:
Aha, I did as Stig suggested and found the culprit. . . L3 on the sole master fader in the session. When the L3 is deactivated, delay comp appears as normal. Now, I use an L3 on the master fader on virtually every session, so still not sure why in this case it's causing a problem.
Instead of deactivating the L3 on your master fader, simply de-activate ADC on the master channel on which it resides. Since the latter is your final step (everything is already mixed by this point) there’s no real need for delay compensation at this stage.
Understood, but I BELIEVE compensation is always on on a master fader. Typically, on the master fader with an L3 or similar PT will report a delay of 3500 samples (e.g.), but compensation of 0. I'm guessing master faders are designed to behave this way for just the reason you described.

Your point regarding "nested" auxes is also well taken. Still, I find it hard to go beyond the "long" delay compensation setting (4000 samples or so) during normal mixing. RTAS plug ins, depending on where they sit, definitely make it more problematic, but as I said, in this case, it was all TDM plugs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.