View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Default DIY tube mic troubleshooting help..

Hey gang,

So about 14 years ago I built a Paia 2ch tube pre kit. I used it for a year or so, then two things happened; I started to notice that signals were only distorted in the negative swing on CH 1, and I accidentally applied phantom to the outputs (as the pre was connected to an analogue mixer that had PP across all channels). At the time I didn't have a function generator so I wasn't able to troubleshoot.

I did find a few blown caps from the 48v hit, changed those out years ago.

I have since become obsessed with this old project since I repaired a function generator kit. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with both channels for the last few days. Ch 1 mostly works; but it still only distorts in the neg swing of a 1kHz sine wave (through the tube drive section). Ch 2 on the other hand seems to be having an issue with the tube drive section not functioning at all; as well as no PP or Drive LED.

I know this is a weird thing and not many are likely familiar with this kit. I do know that there are some of you out there with more electronics training than myself. I have traced the signal through the circuits and can't quite isolate the issue.

On CH1, I'm guessing some form of DC offset is being introduced by a damage component. On CH2, I'm guessing the caps weren't the only thing that got damaged from the 48V hit to the output section.

Thanks guys...
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors