View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
Ok, I have a couple Q's and forgive me, I'm trying to catch up in this thread...

I might be able to swing a new Mac Pro and I'm wondering is anyone able to just migrate their current system over to the new computer? Or are you needing to do a fresh install?

Regarding the stock 580X video card - I am currently using two DVI outputs to my computer monitors. (I have a separate computer for my main video.) I think the 580X only has 1 DVI output? I'm not finding clear pics on that yet. If so, would it be ok to run an HDMI to DVI adapter to my 2nd computer monitor?

I'm thinking of the 2TB OWC 4M2 and a couple of 1TB Samsung 850/860 Pro for my sessions. Maybe moving my External FX library to an internal drive as well. That sound good?
The 580X has two HDMI ports, but since its an MPX module, it also lets you use thunderbolt ports for connecting monitors. You can get thunderbolt to DVI adapters for relatively cheap. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210319

If you can afford an extra $600, the W5700X is a huge boost in performance. But be aware that it takes up 2 PCI slots instead of one. It has a single HDMI port, but adds 4 more Thunderbolt 3 ports.

You likely won't need a separate computer to run your video anymore.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment