View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Is a Education in Audio Recording of Post Production worth it.

From the perspective of an "employer," whether or not you have a degree is irrelevant. I put quotes around the word "employer" because it is not normal to get a 9-5 job with benefits in this industry. In this business you will most likely be an independant contractor, so knowing people who can send work your way is probably the most important thing you can have. Of course your skills are also important, if you do crap work that's not going to get people to send you work.

For me the biggest benefits from getting a degree were being able to be motivated by working with other people with the same interests, and learning various tricks from these people, as well as getting experience on gear I never would have been able to work with otherwise. The degree itself has never been a factor in getting me work, it's almost always been referrals from other people. I occasionally pick up a job from an advertisement or job posting, but this is rare, as there are very few gigs advertised, the ones that are usually get an overwhelming response.