View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Embedding Loops in audio sample for import to sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I did but I still don't understand the concept. Most things I can figure out but this has me stumped. The only embedded loop concept I understand is in computer programming.

Its probably just the terminology as I'm sure you're familiar with how samples work. Say you have a sample of a pad sound and you want to import that into a VI that allows you to import your own samples such as Omnisphere. As you know, all samples have a finite length in time, so lets say our pad is only 2 seconds long. But you want to be able to hold down the note and have the sample play for as long as the note is held. That where embedded loops come in. You can define a start and end point within the sample to create a loop so that when you play a note, the sample will start at the beginning but will continue to loop at whatever start/end point you set in the sample to create a nice long and (hopefully) seamless sound. Where you set those loop points is crucial, so you need good audio editing software designed to do that.

When you're done, you can export the file as a wave and in most cases, the loop info is "embedded" in the wave file. So when you import it to your sample VI, it will play the way you want it to.

Structure allows you to set loops per sample in the sample wave editor. Once you save the patch, the sample data keeps those loop points intact, embedded into the wave file. So, if I import one of them to Omnisphere, it will recognize the embedded loop and play accordingly.

There's a bunch of 3rd party software that will do this as well such as Wavosauer, and Yamaha's TX16Wx (those are freebies). There's some commercial software as well. Audacity does NOT do this.

The trick is finding the right start/end points to avoid clicks and pops. You need to be able to zoom way in and find the 0 points in the wave form where they cross from + to - or vice versa. Usually that will avoid any clicks/pops and other artifacts when playing the loop. So it takes a bit of finessing. Structure has a nice auto search feature to help you find the "sweet spot" for creating such a loop, but it doesn't always work out and you still have to do some finessing. You can also set X-fades at those loop points as well.

I can't see a way to do this directly with the audio editing in PT. Hence my post.

I hope this answers your question.