View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Expansion Chassis for Mac Pro?

Quote:

Can you connect a PCIe computer with a PCIe host card to a PCI-X chassis using PCI-X Accel cards?

Can you use a second Core card as an Accel card, in addition to other Accel cards for extra DSP?

Thanks,
First question: Yes, that is what the Magma PE6r4 is made to do, connect a PCIe computer to a chassis housing PCIx cards. you will have a max of HD 6, core card and any combination of 5 accel or process cards.

Second question: yes i believe you can use a core card as an accel process card! (But why would you use a $8000 card to do what a $3000 card can do!!)

I think the only way to get above HD6 is to use PCIe cards and use the Magma express7 chassis, PCIe cumputer to PCIe chassis/cards. though not sure if this chassis has been qualified by Digi yet. But don't quote me as there might be an older chassis that supports more than 6 cards, so i guess it depends on your computer/Mac OS/PCI card type etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.