View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 05:44 AM

Default ProTools Installer/Un-Installer Bug?

Hi!

I've got a real big problem here.
Updated to 10.4.6 and then wanted to update to 7.1cs9.
Installer hangs after a while at "389 (?) items to be installed".
So I tried to uninstall ProTools, first with the update-uninstaller, then directly from the original disc.
Same problem.
Reinstallin Pro Tools from disc.
Same problem.

Result: Pro Tools kaputt.

Of course I checked the harddrive for errors (single user mode - fsck -fy) and repaired permissions. Over and over again...
I also tried all the other advises from the general troubleshooting thread. Nothing.
I talked with the Digidesign support. They made me try a few things and at the end told me that I most likely would have to reinstall. Argh.
On the other hand to my qustion if there is some kinda Log File Pro Tools would create during install (which it actually does), I got a straight "No, sorry Pro Tools doesn't do that".
So I tried to track down the problem.

The moment the problem occurs the installation has to be forced-quit.
In fact the system even has to be restarted as the installer starts to write sth. to the swapfile and this doesn't stop when the app is forced to quit.

What I found out so far:

What is crashing seems to be a routine which is supposed to remove every "pro tools" related entry in the Dock (com.apple.dock.plist). I tried to empty the whole dock, tried a different user, reset the dock.... nothing.

I am kinda helpless now and before reinstalling the whole system......:

HHHEEEEELLLLPPPPP!

Any ideas are welcome!

Greetz from Germany,
Thias

Additional Infos:

Console output when the installer hangs, this is actually happenin in some kinda loop (goes on and on and on):

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /Users/dave/Library/Application Support/97550 line 67, <DOCKPREFS> line 22.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /Users/dave/Library/Application Support/97550 line 67, <DOCKPREFS> line 22.
Use of uninitialized value in string at /Users/dave/Library/Application Support/97550 line 89, <DOCKPREFS> line 22.

Excerpt from 97550 to let someone who needs to know ...well...know:
# This script will remove any aliases from the dock that point to
# anything with the string "Pro Tools *.app". It takes no arguments
#
# --adysart 9/7/05

Last entries from the Pro Tools Installer Log (Installation with ONLY the application selected):

Installed Macintosh HD:Applicationsigidesignigi CoreAudio Manager.app:Contents:Resources:zh_CN.lproj:Setup.n ibbjects.xib
Installed Macintosh HD:Library:Audio:MIDI Devices:Generic:Imagesigidesign_MIDI_IO.tiff
Installed Macintosh HD:Library:Audio:MIDI Devices:Generic:Imagesigidesign_PRE.tiff
Installed Macintosh HD:Applicationsigidesign:Pro Tools:Icon