View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 AM

Default Re: OWC dock data transfer rate

Thank you again for these explanations, it makes me understand a lot of things..!

One thing I didn’t tell you, I used to have a SSD until one year ago, but I changed it for a HDD. It was a Crucial 1To enclosed in a basic rack, plugged in a USB port but I started to have problems (many bugs with PT), in particular sometimes it was not detected by the computer even after reboot. I couldn’t work properly and effectively. I thought it was a drive failure but actually not…

So I decided to replace it with a HDD. Now it bugs far less but samples load much slowly. And I have strange phenomenas with USB devices (for instance my Maschine Mikro from Native Instrument doesn’t work… it’s recognized, light turn on but it looks like it’s ‘locked’, as if there was not enough power though my hub (Lindy) has an external power supply - tried many things, contacted Native Instruments support but no solution at the moment). Hence my doubts about my USB configuration.
I even used to have two usb HUB recently (4 output each) but I removed one because of those issues (didn’t change a lot).

That’s why I’d like to go back to SSD but through Thunderbolt port. Thanks to your help I can see now what’s possible and what’s the best for me.
I’ll try again via USB port as you suggested but I want to be sure I can go to Thunderbolt if necessary. I guess I’ll give up the PCIe box solution as the fan may be really disturbing…

There’s just one thing I don’t get yet (related to my precedent ‘weird’ question) : Is it possible to plug a Samsung T5 in a Mac Pro thunderbolt port via the USBC to thunderbolt2 adaptor ? (the one linked in my precedent message)
In the Apple description it looks like it’s possible. I know that the data transfer would be reduced to SATA but it would equivalent to USB port…
Otherwise you suggested me a thunderbolt2 to USB3 hub/dock that’s it ?

Some precision following your advices on my system settings :

My displays are VGA plugged, the resolution is 1920x1080 for each. I have 32 Go RAM, and the cache size in the PT playback engine is set to ‘normal’.

Most of the settings you recommended were already done, now I’ll have to look at the Kontakt optimization page..

Thank you