View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Smile Thunderbolt to HDMI rules!!!!!

With the advent of PT9 going native, I thought I would try something out just to see if it works. I purchased a $20 adapter that goes from thunderbolt/display port to HDMI. I proceeded to plug it into my Harmon Kardon AVR/354 home receiver. I opened pro tools and low and behold, it showed up as an available playback engine. By opening Audio/midi setup and configuring it to 8channel/24 bit/96khz, I am able to mix 7.1 surround sound from my Macbook Pro, running HD9 at 24/96... I about fell off of my fricking chair. I couldn't believe it. It just worked.

For those of you looking for a budget solution to mixing in surround, this is a great option. Especially if you already have a high end consumer surround sound system with an HDMI input.

Have a great day ya'll. I know I will be having one mixing 7.1 surround sound in my living room. I realize that I won't be doing full on commercial mixes this way. My living room isn't tuned and it's not a proper mixing environment for commercial releases, but I can get things dialed in, in my living room and then take them to a real studio for the final mixes.