View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM

Default Waves License Cloud: be careful when switching to a new Mac!

As if my late iLok troubles weren't enough, I also had "fun" with Waves' new copy protection License Cloud.

First problem was how to get the license to the Pro Tools machine, as our DAWs don't have internet access. I didn't like putting the license on an USB Stick as I didn't want another Volume to be mounted and I didn't want people to be able to remove the stick. Sending a license from the USB stick onto the computer hard disk does NOT work without internet connection.
So, I had to get every machine that was to get Waves V9 on the internet for a moment.

Now one system got a new Mac Pro (no, not "Steve's Urn" but the earlier "cheese grater" model - dual 6-Core, yeah! and I thought I'd be on the safe side since I just put the Harddisks from the old MP into the new one. The copy protection was safely stored on the HDD, or so I thought…

Starting up the new Mac only to find, a) Yes, it's fast! and b) Waves PlugIns aren't loading because there's no license…

Yep, no license. gone. As if it's never been there.

The only solution was to get the machine on the internet again and to get "recover license" from waves license center, which you are only allowed to have once a year.

Bottom line: if you're about to switch Macs, return the Waves licenses to the license cloud first!

Chris