View Single Post
Old 07-10-2001, 10:35 AM

Default Re: 414 and Audio Upgrades

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andrew from Montreal:
just wondering.
The AKG C414 BULS vs. the TL11.
Is the BULS more versatile? Is the TL11 too bright for instruents like horns and female voices?
I ask this because I'm investing in mics for a small studio space. I only have 2500$ for the mics and I am wondering what mics would be more versatile.
Thank you.
My apologies if you've already come across this issue in the General Discussion area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One idea you might consider is purchasing the TLM103 for that bright vocal sound and the Neumann 193 for more of a warmer U89ish sound. You wouldn't have a pair but you would two completely different sounding mics to cover different bases. I haven't had my 414s upgraded yet, but based on the sound of the unmodified I don't think I would recommend running out and buying a pair. I have never had luck with my unmodified 414s on acoustic guitar ( I usually use bright small diaphrams like KM184s or warm 84s if there available ). But, hey, that may change when I get them modified.