View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Carpal tunnel & trackballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I also recommend switching back and forth if you are at risk. For me, despite how many out there extol the Kensington Trackball, I hate it I use a Logitech Marble(the small one where you use your thumb on the ball) for home use, but a fairly standard Logitech Mouse is my go-to on PT. I have the Kensington nearby if someone else needs it, but I don't use it much myself
As I wrote I have the Kensington one you write of and I think that's what really aggravated my CTS. I love it for the way the trackball feels to me and all the buttons - BTW with the newer driver it looks like you can program the four buttons application specific.

The Logitech Marble is a finger operated trackball (it's in the middle of the device between the buttons). The new one has 4 buttons and the older one I have has just two. Or do you have the Trackball M750 (that's the new one)? That has a thumb operated trackball - have that one as well.

When you talk about switching back and forth are you talking about going from righty to lefty and back every so often? That I can do (being a drummer kind of helps with ambidextrousness).

I've seen a couple of vertical mice and this device from Penquin: http://www.posturite.co.uk/penguin-mouse.html Anybody have thoughts on these? As I wrote I don't have a lot of space and it seems like these devices need a rather large mouse pad. And that brings up a question: do modern laser rodentis even need a pad anymore? My wife uses a Logitech corded laser mouse and it really needed a pad for good tracking. Table top in that case is black and at my music setup it's a light grey (if that matters). Expense I won't get into because this is my hand health I'm talking about. If it'll help that's something I can get into.

At least with my ham radio & Morse code I use my left hand to send code with either a straight key or a bug so the CTS in my right hand isn't an issue there.

QAPLA!