View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Switching Sample rates still causes havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I used to think Focusrite support was pretty good. I would hope they would help you out here, to the point of telling you if you are stuck with known problem behavior or if it’s a Pro Tools is due and which company owns solving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Darryl, Focusrite support is good, and they've helped with other stuff in the recent past. On this issue, the short version is Focusrite says its an Avid issue, and, surprise, Avid says its a Focusrite issue. It wasn't quite that simple, but that was the gist.

Regardless, in my opinion, it IS an Avid issue and here's why. With the release of PT 9, as you well know, Avid made the choice to allow for using PT with 3rd party interfaces. You well recall how we all jumped on that. Until 9.0 we were all using one Avid interface or the other. Now, it seems to me, that if you open up your product to allow for 3rd party interfaces that at the very least that means you will see to it that your software will operate normally for pretty all routine demands. And, I would say that switching sample rates is about as routine as it gets. Yet, here were are in 2017 and version 12.7 with 13.0 probably around the corner, and we're still seeing users posting here about this very issue. Its not just Focusrite. I've seen posts here with same problem with other top name interfaces. This should not be.

My buddy up the road has a nice studio and he uses Sonar. I remember about 7 years ago, I was in there to do a mix with him, and the session we had was at 44.1k. He had just come off a session at 48k and forget to switch his interface for our session. With our session open, he just reached around the back of his interface, flipped the switch to 44.1k, and we were off an running. We didn't even have to close the session in Sonar. Now, that was 7 years ago. How hard can this be?

So, no, I think it is very much Avid's problem to solve. They're the ones who made the choice to open Pro Tool's architecture up to allow 3rd party interfaces to be used, so it is incumbent on them to see to it that basic routine functions demanded of an interface work.