View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Switching Sample rates still causes havoc

I wish I could understand why the simple act of changing sample rates causes so many problems. I have a Focusrite 8i6 and I can use the Mix Control program that comes with it to change the sample rate. In this case I needed to close a session I was working on 44.1k to open one in 48k for video. Typically that means, closing the 44.1k session, then exiting PT altogether, change sample rate in MixControl to 48k, re-open Pro Tools, then open the new session in 48k. Rinse and repeat to go back to 44.1k.

Well, going to the 48k session worked fine. But, repeating the same steps to go back to 44.1k has done nothing but cause all kinds of hangups with PT. The session opens, but won't play. So, I try to shut it down, and the close window goes track by track as the little green bar moves millimeter by millimeter. What the heck? Its been over 15 min and the session still hasn't shut down. I'm afraid if just shut down PT I'll mess something up worse.

What I don't understand is why is changing sample rates such a fiasco? It's always been like this, where you've got jump through hoops to change sample rates. Either I'm doing something incorrectly, or PT does not handle this very well. I know others have had the same issue with various interfaces, including Focusrites, among others.

What's the deal??n