View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Just got my new Mac Pro 2019, 16 Core Review: worth upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockemusic View Post
Cheers for the replies guys, enjoyed reading all your comments.

Going to try to keep it brief as Im still in my return period for the Mac Pro and need to troubleshoot Also on Monday Apple will have some news on their Arm Processor and new iMacs so looking forward to that :)

1. How can I improve the Restoring Tracks Time of my Pro Tools Sessions. It takes a while, is this related to number of cores, or the read speed of the Mac HD or even memory related?

My current sample library is a Samsung 850 EVO SSD via USB 3, would I see a big improvement investing in an internal OWC PCIe SSD or even the Sonnet one (is there fan noise with the latter?)

Today Ive added 2 x 64 GB Samsung RAM modules (160 GBP total with the original 32 GB RAM). Memory Meter in Pro Tools is down from around 70% to 10%. Woo!

I have seen the CPU shoot once to 100% red and go back down. This gives a distorted playback which I can fix by toggling the Buffer Size in the Playback Engine. Im always working on 1024 Samples and don't experience latency when recording MIDI unless I have the track routed to a group buss with plugins on. Is the only way to fix this to change the output to Analog 1-2 and then bus after when Im happy with the track? What H/W Buffer size are you guys using? Would love to have it right down :) I tested a VI track today with some plugins fx on routed to a buss but even at 32 Samples its unplayable. Is this even possible or hdx only?

2. Using several displays issue: Ive attached 2 HDMI displays and a VCA display and the Mac Pro always has a bit of trouble recognising them when starting up. Is there a correct order to help with this? i.e power displays on first, followed by the Mac Pro
Don’t know what VIs you’re using but Kontakt takes a long time to instantiates in Pro Tools, even from super fast storage. An external SSD via USB3 is literally 6 times slower than one fast Samsung m.2 drive on an internal PCIe adapter.

I’m currently running with a buffer of 256 although I’m hosting most VIs in VE Pro. I’m using HDX though.

Don’t know about your display issue sorry.