View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Vocal recordings result in lame volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviceP View Post
Hi I have returned to pro tools after years off to start a new project. Running the latest version of pro tools on my 2019 MacBook pro with catalina. When I try to record vocals I get almost no sound in the mix. I first tried on my Shure SM58 and when I couldn't get any sound I switched to the Audio-technica AT2020. If I turn up the gain on the Focusrite I barely get any sound but lots of hiss. Same for modifying the clipping in the mix. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Welcome to DUC.

It's not clear anything you are doing has anything to do with this thread. A lot more info would help...

What interface are you using? Are you using an onboard or external preamp?

What *exact* input is the mic plugged into with what exact cable/plug on the end of that cable... (accidently connecting to a line level input is a common cause of these issues)

What is the preamp gain set to? Does it adjusting that have any effect.

Input pads are disabled?

Is phantom power turned on for the AT2020?

If the interface has hardware monitoring get that to work first without Pro Tools to confirm the mic and cables etc. are OK.

If that does not work try the SM57 again and/or check phantom power is present at the end of the cable with a voltmeter and/or try a different cable.

Then in Pro tools... Make sure the track meter is in pre-fader mode and you have the correct input selected on the track... default I/O if necessary. Make sure you are using an audio track.

Ask if anything is not clear here.

---

Oh looks like a 2i2.. so you have to go into the one of the front panel XLR combo inputs but you *have* to use an XLR plug, not a 1/4" plug. make sure the pad is disengaged, gain turned up on that channel. Without using Pro Tools confirm direct monitoring works to headphones or monitors. All that is covered in the 2i2 documentation. No Pro Tools involved yet.