View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Dolby 7. Is everybody mixing at this level?

During last Thanksgiving weekend I had a Feature Film in the Theaters that I mixed called "Faster". I went to a Theater with all my family and when the opening credits came on the left speaker was out and the mix was real low.
I ran out and found the manager and ... then she told me we play our mixes at 4.5 on the Dolby Box...WTF?
Well I took my family to another Theater chain and saw a beautiful Christy Digital projection and the opening credits came up and ALL THE SPEAKERS WERE WORKING!! Then guess what, the level was low!
I ran out again and found the manager and she told me "we play all movies at 5 on the Dolby Box otherwise we will blow out our speakers"!!!
I told her your speakers will be fine then pleaded with her to play it at 7.
After 5 minutes of pleading she said she would play it at 6.5 not 7.
Went back into the theater and semi enjoyed a close to reference level playback.

There are Cinema Chains that play all movies between 4.5 and 5 no matter what. Well then I will ask for the movie to be played back at reference.
If they don't, I will watch the movie and then ask for a refund.
I'm not getting 100% of what the Director or Mixers created then why should they get 100% of the ticket price!!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.