View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Default Re: How to tune SPQ card in MTRX Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Thank you Frank and Rich.
I downloaded Smaart8 demo and tried it out, but it is very powerful and complex program so I will need to spend some time with it first to get familiar with all the options and possibilities it has.
Just want to be sure that I am doing the measurement properly, but in the first try couldn't figure it out.

Smaart in AudioTools app offer some basic Smaart RTA with single channel module. It is affordable (€54.99) but then it is not possible to install on my old iAudiointerface on iPod touch.
On the newer iPhones and iPads it could work but again microphone is a problem and I can not use old interface as it has 30 pin dock connector. And I tried UMIK-1 with Audiotools on new iPhone and ipad but it doesn't work reliably and StudioSixDigital won't fix this as they sell their own microphones.

I also tried Fuzzmeasure, but their demo is so limited that you can't load microphone calibration and can not make more that two measurements. It is useless demo but app looks very clean and simple, like that.

So far only REW is usable but hopefully will find some more time soon to dive into Smaart8 and get that to work.
Smaart DI2 is enough for that purpose I think. I've never used the iPad apps for this purpose, so can't really say. Most important feature is transfer function and live IR (for time alignment) and after completing the tuning the overall RTA for X-curve and SPL (if you have a calibrator for your measurement mic). You will need 2 channels for the transfer function (ref signal in and out and mic in).

You can definitely use REW it's just very time consuming to re-sweep for every adjustment to see the result. In Smaart you essentially have a live view of everything which is extremely helpful when tweaking speaker positions for optimisation. Always amazing to see how much influence even a computer monitor has when being moved around.