View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Modern motherboard for original PCI HD Core and Process cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Campbell View Post
Hi, Ron

Thanks for posting all the details -- very helpful. I've been studying, and waiting, but now it seems time to grab one of these older boards before they all disappear. SandyBridge looks like a non-starter.

Just wondering if you had any issues with the heatsink behind the PCI slots when inserting your cards. Any "plastic surgery" required?

Thanks,

Ray
No surgery required. Everything fitted well. No problems what-so-ever.

I did not take any pictures of the install but will crack the case open and snap some and post it here when I go back to the studio. Won't be back there until this weekend

My engineers/producers are very happy now and everyone wants to play with NI Maschine becuase of how snappy the samples load. Protools loads 8x faster as well and you can really feel the responsiveness in the system now. No problems in Logic or Nuendo either.

I hear that the ASUS board works very well too but it does not have the TI firewire chipset which is recomended for DAWs.

I am still happy I was able to help the community in search of a Sandybridge board but this setup is Super as well and I am pissed I did not go this route when I last visited the upgrade path over a year ago.