View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Problem installing PT LE on XP: small gray screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekon View Post
Hi, I had this exact problem with a PT8 LE installation disc on my 4 odd year old Dell Dimension 5000 however the DVD drive is only a year old Samsung. Got the small grey box with "Welcome to Pro Tools LE". Would not go further than that whatever I did and believe me I tried everything... I've never had a problem installing any other software ever on that DVD drive.

I could not copy the disc onto my hard drive either using the standard windows method, Came up with the same CRC error you are getting. I ended up using a program called Unstoppable copier to copy the disc, it copied everything but reported that the Datacab 2 file was bad on the disc which it duly skipped. I ended up downloading a good datacab2 file off a friend and sticking it in my PT8 install folder that I ripped from my disc. All Fixed now.

I tested the PT8 disc in a total of three different computers, it either gave the grey box or crashed half way through install, so was definitely a bad disc.

I also complained to Digi and they sent me a download link for the install too..but by that time I'd already sorted it myself.

Now i've also discovered the free sample library disc in the PT8 kit is also physically damaged..it has deep score in it and wont load half the samples. grrrrr
Thank you very much for your input. I will contact Digi to see if I can get a download link activated. Again, thanks for your time.