View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Can we get a NEW and CLEARER Best Desktop thread?

I hear ya!

I think part of the problem is that I find it ALL valuable!!! I just can't sort through it very well! It looks like there are some awesome machines coming in at 800 or 900 bucks. Then they start talking about all their tweeks and compatibility issues and my eyes start to glaze over lol! It seems like even the computer pros on here have a lot of questions. (I'm hoping that's more of the tiny details just because they're into computers and like to tweak things)

I'd love to get a couple of people's listings saying, "I bought all this...and it works great." "You can squeeze some more out if it with some mods but, for a hobbyist, you'll be perfectly happy just buying these parts."

I guess I could just grab some off the other postings but there always seem to be some "watch out for this, or this type is more stable" type of comments...and then it gets technical beyond my understanding.

For example, I just recently read on here and learned that Windows only allocates a limited amount of RAM for pro tools. I assumed, previously, the more ram the better but it sounds like anything over 3 is a waste because windows won't allocate more. (but I could be wrong)

I'll definitely post what I find but I'll be WAY less qualified than most on here to provide input.